Thursday, December 13, 2018

On Every Page

This is going to jump around…A lot, so please stick with me.

I take pictures. 

Sometimes I take a lot of them.

Not going to lie, my preferred method is using a Nikon Nikkormat FS DSLR that was made in the late 1960s because it presents a unique challenge.

That camera is completely mechanical. No electricity whatsoever. No light meter, no nothing. No battery. No nothing. That camera has never once let me down!

CVS stopped processing film in store which is why I basically stopped using film.  I can no longer get a roll processed for $2.19 in less than an hour.  I have to send it off somewhere and wait a week.  I know, I know…#firstworldproblems and all of that, but for me I want to know so I can learn from my experience.  I want to see what I got before I forget what I used.

Post processing is a thing I really don’t believe in. For me each image is an individual lesson.  I want to know what I had so I can know what I did right and what I did wrong.  At any given time I will go on an adventure with several different cameras and lenses, so I like to know what I did with what while it is still fresh in my mind.

For me, the biggest reason I have stood by Nikon cameras is (other than durability) the Nikon F-Mount for lenses.  Nikon has used this mounting system since something like 1967, which means that virtually any lens that fits a Nikon camera from then on will work on a modern DSLR.

That makes me happy.  I have gotten so much amazing vintage glass for so cheap it is not even funny!

Also, I have found that shooting manual lenses on a DSLR has taught me enough that I can just shoot and go on 35mm and not end up nearly as many bad exposures as I used to get.  I have 3 rolls of nearly perfect film from 3 different cameras with 3 (vastly) different lenses to back this up.  No light meters, no nothing.

I just went with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment