Sunday, November 18, 2018

Mamma Don’t Take My Kodachrome

Among all of the cameras that I own, my absolute favorite is a Nikon Nikkormat FS.  I picked it up at Goodwill for $10 because it had an awesome lens on it.  It may have been my first Nikon, I’m a little fuzzy on that point.
Anyway, I bought the thing in the spring or summer of 2011, and used it pretty frequently.  It was, for a long time, the backup for the Minolta SRT-101 that I already owned.  It had a longer lens, and was completely mechanical, so it was a lot more reliable than my Olympus OM-10 that I picked up at a flea market.
I learned so much with those three cameras that summer!
Anyway, when I got it the thing had a light leak due to a rotted out seal. Said light leak is apparent in some of the photos on the linked page.  They are the ones with the bar of overexposure down the right side of the photos.
I cut a piece of weatherstripping off the door of the non-functioning Party Van at work, dug out the rotted out seal and glued the new rubber in it’s place…Problem solved!
Anyway, I never really posted any pictures of the actual camera, so here it is:

DSC_4308
DSC_4291
DSC_4292
DSC_4307
DSC_4303
DSC_4300
DSC_4295
DSC_4293


I really should take this thing to Robert’s and see if they can clean it out and get it calibrated to the point of like new again.
(From the Wikipedia) The Nikkormat FS, manufactured from 1965 to 1971, was an FT stripped of the built-in light meter with its exposure information system and the mirror lockup feature. The FS was unpopular when new because of the lack of a built-in meter, but this makes it rarer and more valuable than the FTs to collectors today.

No comments:

Post a Comment