Monday, September 4, 2017

Up Ahead In The Distance I Saw A Shimmering Light Part 1 - Installation

First and foremost be advised that I am doing this eleven years after my initial post on the subject.  I was previously unable to get screenshots of the install process because emulation was not nearly so well developed as it is today (9/4/2017)

*spec data: available as a 3.5gb (32-bit version) or 4.4gb (64-bit version) download in english, german, japanese. minimum requirements: 1-ghz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) cpu, 1gb system ram, graphics processor capable of running windows aero interface, 128mb graphics ram, 40gb hard drive (15gb free), dvd-rom drive, audio output, internet access. recommended: 2gb system ram, 256mb graphics ram. download is free; dvd costs $6.* - Taken from the PCMag.com article Microsoft Windows Vista Beta 2 By John Clyman 6/8/2006.

With that in mind there are a few differences between the virtual hardware of today and the actual hardware of yesteryear.  I'm pretty sure I was rolling with 512mb of RAM, so that is what I set the Virtual PC to roll with today. I cannot remember the video specs or hard drive sizes.  I may find some of that after I look through the original post later on.

*Update 128mb video card and 80gb hard drive. (3/4/2018)*

So, it looks like I was running pretty far below the system requirement on the RAM and right on the minimum with regard to the display adapter.  My guess is I was hoping the processing power or a giant swap file would make up the difference. 

I'd guess I was wrong based on the aftermath.

I'm trying to decide if I am going to update the old screenshots to match the new ones, or just let them be.

Anyway, here is Windows Vista Beta 2 Installation screenshots...Eleven years late.

First off, this is my first exposure with Windows being installed from a DVD Installer Image.  I remember being impressed by it.
























By the way, screenshots in Sun VirtualBox are so much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment