Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Atom Heart Mother

I am enjoying my going through and messing with every version of Microsoft Windows that I can get my hands on project.  I am enjoying it very much.

I have, in the past, had the pleasure of playing with Windows Neptune. A vision for the successor of Windows 2000/ME that ended up being scrapped and turned into Windows XP.

I have, in the last few days, been messing with the very early builds of Windows Longhorn.  This is the original vision for Windows Vista.  It looks an awful lot like Windows XP...Because it was built on the Windows XP code.

It ended up being reset after Microsoft decided to A-Focus on improving the overall security for Windows XP and B-It was getting to be way more than the XP code could really handle.  There were too many features that were being planned for Black Comb? or was it Vienna? Whatever 7 was originally code named, that ended up creeping their way into it.

It was planned to be in incremental step (similar to the Windows 98 to Windows 98 Second Edition update is my guess) between XP and 7.  Instead they opted to reset everything and start from scratch with the Windows Server 2003 code.  Honestly, not a poor choice considering how much more stable 2003 was over XP.



Anyway, I will be posting screenshots from one of the last versions of the original Longhorn run in the next couple of days.  I have a few more things I want to do with it before I finish and start posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment