Thursday, April 12, 2018

Call A Doctor, I Think I’m Gonna Crash

Found some more stuff…

Windows 95 Upgrade Front CoverWindows 95 Upgrade CDPlus! 95 Front CoverPlus! 95 Back CDWindows 98 Second Edition Upgrade Front CoverWindows 98 Second Edition Upgrade CD

For some reason I always found the Microsoft Plus! Companion discs to be great fun. I have the Windows 98 Plus! pack on the way.  I need to track down my copy of the XP version one of these years, even though I didn’t think that one was nearly as good as the first two.

I did like the fact that I could carry the functionality over to different versions of Windows, and the Desktop Themes app was pretty good.

I remember the first time I bought a game and it came with Desktop Themes as a bonus feature I could not, for the life of me, figure out what to do with them. It was one of the Command & Conquer: Red Alert expansion discs.  Finally, once I made it to Windows 98 and the Desktop Themes app was installed as part of the OS I was able to figure it out.

I stumbled across Plus! 95 by accident on an IBM Aptiva a friend gave me.  I decided to run the system restore cd and start fresh…Guess what…Found out that it existed and even dug the install files out of the restore disc.

There was seriosuly a time I had a hard drive that was just install files.

A 3.5” internal IDE hard drive that replaced a box of rapidly failing floppy discs. I tell you, carrying around that box of 29 Windows 95 floppies was a pain. Got easier when I came up with a Windows 95 Upgrade that was only half the size, but I still needed Windows 3.11 and DOS install discs which were already in the box.

Oh yeah, I had a portable hard drive before there were portable hard drives!

No comments:

Post a Comment