Saturday, August 5, 2017

Every New Beginning Comes From Some Other Beginning's End Part 2 - Setup

I opted for DosBox on this one since it doesn't need much in the way of anything to work, and this OS cannot need really that much in the way of resources.

Downloaded and installed DosBox.

Mount a folder for the drive. 





Set the DOS version to 3.31 so that it doesn't just crap out (which it does at the default level).

Here is where things get interesting.  DosBox, at least the version I am using, doesn't allow you to mount multiple floppy images and scroll through them.  It implies that you can do it with a CD-Rom ISO image, but I didn't feel like converting 7 floppy disk images into 7 ISO files.

I ended up extracting all of the disk images into one folder and mounting that folder as A: with the "-t floppy" parameter.  Just mounting the folder as A: didn't let me do anything but a loop on the installation.

That was irritating.

Moving right along.

There really isn't any sort of graphical based setup program.  At least they give you clear instructions regarding what button to press as you go.

Press "C" and carry on.

Tell it where you want Windows to live.

It intrigues me that they have everything seperated out by disk.  I don't remember how they have the Windows 3.1 disks broken up, but they actually tell us what lives where here.

I like it.

Asks about a pointing device.  I haven't gotten one to work with this OS yet, but I'm still trying!

Graphics adapter...Just go with #6 if you are using DosBox on any kind of at all modern PC.

Go ahead and press "C" every time it prompts you to do so.




Three disks later I was able to nab a screenshot of what was going on with the disks.  DosBox on modern(ish) hardware makes this process go so much quicker.  Using files already on the hard drive rather than using 5.25" floppy disks probably help the whole speed thing too.

Microsoft Write...Last disk!

Installation complete!

That is the most tricky part of this I have encountered thus so far.  I spent about an hour trying to get out of the loop between the first and second setup screens.  Like I said, that floppy parameter seems to have made all the difference for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment