Friday, August 3, 2018

Heart Of Glass

So upon my second go on the Harry Potter books I find that Harry is kind of a self-centered jerk.


Granted, I thought this the first time through, but I think I made it to Order of the Phoenix before it really got to me.


Draco Malfoy, though...There is an interesting character.


Draco was born to an evil family that he tries to fit into, but it doesn't seem to be working.  He gets to school and, initially, tries to make friends with Harry.  Harry has already met Ron, so in some sense, his future allegiances were already cemented.  When Draco comes into the train car he instantly (and regrettably) insults Ron and his family which further alienates Draco and Harry.


His behavior toward Harry throughout reminds me of that toddler who wants any kind of attention from his mother and knows that being mean is the best way to do it.


Harry and co, however basically assume that since his family is evil and he is a Slytherin person that they want nothing to do with Draco.  Got to love the prejudice!


In some ways I feel like Draco is kind of the alternate universe version of Sirius Black.  Born to evil, Sirius did not try to fit in with the evil.  Instead he decided to change the course of his future, became friends with James Potter and Remus Lupin and basically was disowned by his family.  While yes, sad, at least James and Remus were willing to give Sirius a chance, unlike Ron and Harry with Draco.

No comments:

Post a Comment